I’m not too fitness-obessed, but I go to the gym in my building several times a week and also see a personal trainer. The workouts with my trainer are intense, and I usually shower after my session. I keep a make-up case with what I call “essentials” in my gym bag, mostly with sample-sized items that one might find at the check-out at Sephora (I don’t wear make-up to the gym, save for some tinted lip balm, if that). I really only use these items once or twice a week, so smaller sizes or hassle-free items are the most ideal. My gym have shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the showers, so I don’t need to bring them. Make-up/beauty product wise, I have the following:
1. Sunscreen: I have one that is essentially for the face, but I double it up and use it on my body as well. After a sweaty workout and shower, you’re going to have to reapply. Mine is Shiseido’s Ultra Sun Protection Cream in SPF 50 and I go through it fairly quickly!
2. BB/CC Cream or tinted moisturizer: I’m not a big fan of spending a great deal of time on my face after getting out of the shower. Thus, all one really needs is to even out one’s face with just a hint of colour. I found a sample-sized tube of Smashbox’s Camera-Ready BB Cream at the check-out area a couple of weeks ago and have been using it since. It only has 15 mL, but because I’m only using this once a week (and a slightly-larger-than-pea-sized amount, at that), it will likely last until August. I was pleasantly surprised to find my regular shade, light-medium available. I would assume that it was a common colour and would be gone fairly quickly. If you want to wear even less, wear primer!
3. Eye shadow: These aren’t samples, but regular sized chubby sticks from Clinique. I’m obsessed with these shadows! No sharpening is needed. I used to use regular powder shadows, but they caused quite the mess in my make-up bag, so I gave up. Besides, there’s no need to clean brushes.
4. Mascara: I’ve been in the habit of getting a new tube of mascara every three months since I was 14 years old. Because I don’t feel like switching my mascara that I use during the week, I stick with small, sample sizes. That way, I won’t feel guilty about throwing it out after three months (or about 12 to 14 uses). The “They’re Real” mascara (Benefit) I have in my bag was, once again, from the sample bin at Sephora’s check-out. I often use the “regular” sized version during the week.
5. Lip colour: My rule is that a girl can never have too many lip glosses or lipsticks, so my gym-ready make-up bag has both sample and non-sample sizes. I have at least three or four in my bag, with my favourite being Fresh’s Sugar Lip Treatment in Petal. Like most of the other lip treatments, this one gives just a hint of colour, so you won’t look like you’re too made-up. Another light weight favourite of mine is Bite Beauty’s Lush Lip Tint in Juice. Of course, if you prefer a heavier look, by all means, pack a more “standard” lipstick.
I don’t really bother to style my hair after the shower. I just give it a good blow dry, tie it back and go. The ladies’ locker room isn’t that big where I work out, and I don’t want to take up too much space. Other people need the mirror, after all!
What about you? What’s in your beauty bag for the gym? Do you wear make-up when you workout?